Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we may receive an affiliate commission, at no extra cost to you. This helps us keep this website alive. Learn more here.
If your car’s sound system needs improvement on the bass front, not to worry. Installing an additional component, such as a subwoofer, can enhance those low sounds. We have reviewed the best 8” subwoofers on the market to deliver those low bass vibes with high-impact sound.
Most vehicles are manufactured with basic sound systems that give adequate, but not exceptional experiences. Transforming your vehicle’s sound system is necessary to make sure you can pick up the intricate nuances of music pieces. What will a subwoofer do for your bass lines?
So, you want to spark your music experience while driving down the highway? You love the songs where the bass and drums create some character in the piece. But when you listen to it in your car, it doesn’t sound as enticing and powerful as when you’re listening in your living room. Is there something wrong with your radio? No. Your sound system simply needs a bit of help. The song doesn’t sound as powerful because your sound system doesn’t have enough power.
The bass sounds of a sound system are ideally channeled through a woofer or subwoofer. These components are designed to push out low sounds—such as bass and drums—with clarity and quality. The focus is to create undistorted sound while retaining power. This is not possible by connecting a normal speaker to an amplifier. You’ll never get good bass sounds unless you’re using the right equipment.
When you’re buying a speaker—and in this case, a subwoofer—certain characteristics have to be in place for it to be worth the expense. You probably browse through websites and shops, while wondering what the information on the box really means. We’ll help you sift through the overload of information and get to the heart of the matter.
There are many aspects to look at, and you have to consider which categories are relevant to your unique setup. If you’re very particular about sound, you have to look for the subwoofer that will give you the ultimate sound experience. Otherwise, there’s no reason to spend too much time on research or a lot of money on expensive brands. Here’s our quick guide to understand and compare subwoofers to each other.
Best 8” Subwoofers: Our Top Picks
The 8” Subwoofers – Buyer’s Guide
Type of enclosure
You can buy sealed or ported subwoofers. Sealed units need more power to compensate for pressure changes in the speakers’ interior. Ported units have holes on the front to handle these pressure changes. Sealed units’ sound is very accurate, but ported units need less power to drive them.
Subwoofers that look good
Subwoofers are usually mounted somewhere in the vehicle where they are visible. They rarely fit in doors, so you want to make sure the aesthetics of your vehicle aren’t downgraded by upgrading your sound experience. Make sure the subwoofers you buy look good. This can be done by buying them in a great-looking casing, or purchasing units that have finishes which fit the rest of your vehicle’s style.
The size of your vehicle determines the number of speakers you can house inside. While normal speakers’ replacements are housed in the doors, you need to make space for subwoofers somewhere in the vehicle such as the trunk. This influences how much else you can put in the trunk, so make sure you can live without the space you’re sacrificing.
Every speaker and subwoofer has a specific amount of power it can handle being pushed through it. This is communicated in watts. This measurement tells you how much power you can connect to the speaker. If you connect too much power to it coming from the amplifier, it may damage the speaker. This measurement is also divided into two categories. A speaker can handle its RMS power every day. Its maximum power can be handled, but the speaker will undergo deterioration if it’s expected to withstand it every day.
You can get quite a long period of warranty on most subwoofers. This will give you an idea of the quality of the product you’re buying. If an item has only 6-month warranty, it’ll most likely not live up to your expectations because subwoofers in cars experience daily pressure. If the deterioration results in a dysfunctional unit in only six months, it’s not worth the buy.
This is where it can get a bit technical. Firstly, the importance of the voice coil is that its movement produces the sound. It’s a wire coil wrapped around a cylinder. The cylinder receives current and the coil reacts by moving. Because the cylinder is attached to the cone, the cone is then moved; this movement creates sound waves. Furthermore, you’ll find single and dual-coil subwoofers, but this won’t influence your sound quality. This aspect only influences the wiring of the speaker.
Armed with knowledge, you can dive into the following list of 8″ subwoofer reviews and decide on the one that will work for you.
Top 5 Best 8’’ Subwoofers in Our Opinion
Planet Audio AC8D Anarchy 8 inch Dual Voice Coil (4 Ohm) 1200 Watt Subwoofer
Planet Audio is a very reputed brand in the market and they do not disappoint with this offering. The Planet Audio AC8D Anarchy 1200 Watt Subwoofer comes with poly injection cone and offers rubber surround. It has great 85dB sensitivity with 39 Hz resonant frequency. Its 8” woofer provides 1200 watts max and 600 watts RMS power handling.
- With this brand, you get a handy 3-year dealer warranty.
- Its surrounding is a great design made of rubber to protect it against wear and tear.
- These units can handle up to a maximum of 1200 watts.
- It’s affordable and easy to install.
- When pushing a speaker to the limit of the power it can manage, you take a chance it might get damaged. While this speaker can handle 1200 watts once in awhile, you can expect deterioration of the value of the sound coming out after continued use.
Check Price at Amazon
Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8 inch Shallow Mount Subwoofer with 600 Watts Max Power
We all have heard about the famous brand Pioneer. They are one of the market leaders when it comes to audio. The Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 Subwoofer has won accolades from customers all over the world. It comes with a sensitivity of 86dB and provides a frequency response of 20-200 Hz. It comes with a top mount depth of 2-5/8” to provide excellent sound effects.
- 1-year warranty available
- Lightweight subwoofer that won’t throw off the stability of your vehicle simply by improving the sound
- One of the most affordable options in this range of speakers
- MICA injection-molded resin assists in the creation of accurate bass sounds
- The maximum power it can handle is only 600 watts.
Check Price at Amazon
Polk Audio db840DVC 8 inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer
This is another great product from Polk Audio that audio enthusiasts love. It provides a continuous power handling of 180 watts with 360 watts peak. This is a marine-certified Polk db series subwoofer that is designed to withstand the toughest of environments. Polk Audio db840DVC Subwoofer comes with an 8-inch black dynamic balance polymer cone.
- The unique feature Polk Audio’s speakers have is they’re marine-certified. This means you can use this in many scenarios and environments apart from your car without damaging the units.
- A vented cone/coil coupler prevents distortion by creating mechanical stability for the cone.
- It has an affordable price.
- Only a maximum of 360 watts can safely be pushed through these units before damage occurs.
- These speakers don’t produce quality mid-range sounds. If your goal is to improve bass sounds, this won’t be a problem.
Check Price at Amazon
CT Sounds Meso 8 Inch Car Subwoofer 800w RMS Dual 2
This awesome subwoofer is popular for a reason – it provides the highest quality sound. You can really never go wrong with this subwoofer. CT Sounds Meso 8 Inch Car Subwoofer comes with a mounting depth of 6.6” with 2.5” dual voice coil. It’s double- stitched paper cone provides excellent sound with the least distortion. It is made with grade Y35 magnet that makes it even more durable.
- These units can handle a great amount of power. For day-to-day use, they will consistently handle 800 watts, but you can push it up to a maximum of 1600 watts once in a while if you need to.
- A 1-year warranty is available.
- It produces excellent sound.
- These speakers are more expensive than other items in this review.
Check Price at Amazon
Boss Audio CXX8 Chaos Extreme 8 inch Single Voice Coil (4 Ohm) 600 Watt Subwoofer
The Boss Audio Chaos Extreme Subwoofer is affordable. Boss Audio CXX8 Chaos Extreme Subwoofer comes with 83dB sensitivity and 46 Hz resonant frequency. Its polypropylene cone and rubber surround allow it to produce great sound effects. It provides 600 watts max and 300 watts RMS power handling and comes with an 8” woofer that has a single 4-ohm voice coil.
- A great 3-year dealer guarantee is yours with purchase.
- A rubber surround gives the speaker great protection and durability.
- Compared to other speakers in this review, you’re looking at the most affordable speaker on the list.
- It looks great with a metallic black finish.
- It produces clear low sounds to enhance your sound experience.
- Installation will take additional time if you have to create holes for this speaker. Take note that a template for the cutouts don’t accompany the unit.
- Though sounds are clear, it’s not the loudest or most powerful you’ll find on this list.
- It’s not extremely high-power handling – 300 watts RMS or a maximum of 600 watts.
Check Price at Amazon
Your search for the best 8″ subwoofers is a balance between quality and durability, as well as affordability. On this list, there’s a winner in affordability with the Boss Audio CXX8. You can easily acquire these units to enhance your musical experience and it won’t leave you in financial turmoil. The quality of the speaker still offers you great sound and clarity.
However, if you’re in search of speakers you can turn up without concern of losing sound quality or damaging the unit, you should consider the CT Sounds Meso. With these speakers, you don’t have to hold back. Even though you’ll pay a bit more than other items mentioned in this review, you’re guaranteed a good sound experience. The price of the CT Sounds Meso is still well below expensive when compared to other subwoofers on the market.
So, what matters more to you? Enhancement of sound, or a complete overhaul to blast bass sounds through your vehicle and into everyone’s ears around you in the parking lot? Let your goal determine your decision to acquire a great sound at the best price.