As a responsible driver, you don’t want to settle for anything less than the best 9005 bulb for your car’s headlights. We never settle for second rate products, which is why we chose only the top 5 headlight bulbs you can buy today. Before going to the reviews, here’s some info about 9005 headlight bulbs first.
Quick Look: Our Top Picks
How to Replace 9005 Headlight Bulbs
This video shows you how to effectively replace your 9005 headlight bulbs.
What are the Benefits of 9005 Headlight Bulbs?
These headlights are brighter than the conventional bulbs installed in cars. The light bulbs on most cars are barely adequate when you’re driving at night, and they can be unsafe for new drivers. 9005 bulbs however, have many of the benefits that halogen headlights possess.
- These lights are street legal, so there are no legal hassles involved with their use.
- 9005 bulbs are also more durable than regular car bulbs. The filament is durable and can withstand long term use.
- These lights have been manufactured to last for years without needing a replacement.
- These headlight bulbs work with a wide range of passenger cars so compatibility won’t be a problem.
- 9005 headlight bulbs come in different styles and brightness levels so suit your needs.
Headlight Bulbs Temperature Guide
Car headlight bulbs are measured in the Kelvin scale. Most halogen bulbs are between 2000K to 4000K. To get the higher temperature, a bulb needs to go through tinted glass, and this is the reason why a lot of these come with a bluish tint and produce bright white light. The denser the glass tint is, the bluer the light. The bluer the light, the higher the color temperatures will be.
As the color temperature goes up, so does the clearness and whiteness, and that is what makes 9005 bulbs ideal as they illuminate the area they shine on. Unlike the standard bulbs fitted in cars, these have been optimized for the human eye.
What Does Wattage Mean?
A simple way to describe wattage is the higher the number, the better. A 40 watt headlight bulb produces less light compared to a 65 watt bulb, so more watts leads to more light. Wattage is stated in product specs, so check first before buying. Some headlight bulbs have two numbers, i.e. 65/55 W. The first number indicates the high beam while the second is the low beam.
9005 Headlight Bulb: Buyer Considerations
- Cost: Headlight bulbs are no longer as expensive as they used to be. They are sold in packs, and the long lifespan means it’s going to take years before a replacement is necessary. For this reason, it makes sense to invest in a quality pair of 9005 bulbs for your car.
- Quality Lighting: No long explanation needed for this. Your car must always have high-quality, reliable lights. It means the difference between safe nighttime driving and an accident.
- Performance and Longevity: The rule used to be that the more powerful the light, the shorter the lifespan. But now there are high-quality headlights that provide both. However, their longevity also depends on how long you use them.
- Installation: The headlight bulbs should be easy to install, and that’s usually the case with modern 9005 bulbs.
- HID: To achieve that HID (high intensity discharge) look, you will need an HID conversion kit. It is difficult, if not impossible, to find halogen light that has equal the brightness and intensity of HID. However, there are halogen bulbs that possess color temperatures similar to HID. This is possible because the bulb’s exterior is coated with semi-transparent film that simulates the color of HID.
HID or xenon lights are often found on luxury cars. These lights generate a high-voltage current for illumination, rather than filaments. The most notable characteristic of these lights is their bluish tint. As we have pointed out earlier, this is the kind of effect that some halogen lights try to emulate.
The 5 Best 9005 Bulbs
The SilverStar was developed specifically as replacements for regular car bulbs. It is made of solid materials for greater durability, and its down road capabilities exceed that of regular bulbs.
The SilverStar design improves performance but doesn’t add to the glare. This is one of the more impressive things about these bulbs as it doesn’t distract from your driving. It also has a proprietary construction that improves performance without sacrificing strength.
100% legal for use on the road, the SilverStar has a brighter and more powerful light bulb, allowing you to see better even in dimly lit environments. Compared to regular car bulbs, they produce more light without flashes. Another benefit of these halogen bulbs is they don’t suddenly burn out. It dims slowly, so you’ll know it’s time for replacements.
- Superior down road performance
- Long lifespan
- Durable construction
- Light focus could have been stronger
The Sylvania 9005 is for those who don’t need a fancy pair of headlight bulbs. It has many of the features that come with other Sylvania bulbs, as well as durable construction for long term use. It is also easy to set up, so you can replace those old car bulbs quickly.
The 9005 matches the DOT regulations, so you’re assured of its quality and longevity. It is also possible to use these lights as high beams if they’re on the right vehicle. While Sylvania makes a lot of good headlights, the basic 9005 is still one of the best that they have. Because it is solidly built, you can use this for a long time. If the headlights on your car bulbs aren’t giving you sufficient lighting, you may want to give these a try.
- Easy to install
- Long lifespan
- Complies with DOT standards
- Not as bright as other Sylvania halogen bulbs
The Philips 9005 headlight bulbs are nothing flashy, but they get the job done as far as functionality goes. The Philips 9005 offers the same OEM quality like those found on high-quality vehicles.
The Philips 9005 is compatible with many car makes and models, and the bulbs are easy to install. All you need to do is twist the object holding the light bulb. Once the electrical connector has been removed, twist the bulb out. Reverse the procedure and the Philips 9005 is ready to go.
Once installed, you’ll see the light bulbs produce plenty of light. It is brighter and clearer than regular car lights, but it’s not so bright that it produces glares. It’s simple but very effective.
- Street legal
- Easy to install
- Bright light leads to safe driving
- Doesn’t work with the 2004 Honda Civic
The Philips CrystalVision Ultra provides your car with bright white Xenon for visibility for night driving. The CrystalVision design gives your ride that HID look and a 4000K light. You also get a distinct blue bulb cap which produces a bluish effect which appears during the day.
The CrystalVision comes with original equipment guarantee seal, an indication of how durable they are. These lights are street legal so you can use these without worrying about being pulled over. The combination of the bright lights and bluish effect gives your headlights a unique look. Like other Philips headlights, these are easy to install, so it’s ideal for new drivers who need bright night lights.
- Offers bright, reliable lights
- High quality design
- Can be used as high and low beams in many cars
- May not work with the 2008 Touring Prius and older models
The Extreme bulbs give you 4000K color so you can drive with confidence at night. This isn’t as pure white, but it is brighter than regular halogen. It also uses the PIAA technology to give it extra light while avoiding the glare. These lights are made of aerospace-grade alloy filament and heat-resistant quartz filament, which tells you how durable they are.
These lights comply with SAE and DOT standards, so they’re legal and road safe. They’re easy to set up and once installed, illuminate the road ahead so you’ll be aware of any road hazards. These lights are built with functionality in mind, but the blue tint gives it a striking appearance that will turn heads.
- Can be used for off-road driving
- Does not have any yellow color
- Ideal for night time driving
- Brightness level is just average
Our Nod Goes To…
These headlight bulbs are exceptionally good and offer good value for your money. But when it comes to performance, durability and quality, the PIAA Xtreme gets our nod. The lights have just the right amount of brightness, and their long lifespan makes it a good investment.
Headlight bulbs don’t need to be fancy, as you just want them to provide sufficient light for driving in difficult conditions. That is what the PIAA Xtreme provides, and it helps that the bulbs are easy to install. If you’re looking for lights that offer long term benefits for your car, the PIAA Xtreme is it.