One of a driver’s most dreaded scenarios is to end up on the side of the road with their car overheating. That’s why you want to be mindful of having one of the best radiator brands available for your vehicle.
Best Radiator Brands: Quick Look
Why is the car’s radiator important?
Your car’s radiator may not be as “sexy” or exciting as the car’s engine, interior, or sound system, but it’s still one of the most important parts of the car. Without it, you’ll end up on the side of the road with your car literally smoking from the heat.
You need a car radiator to keep the car engine cool and functioning properly. You have to understand that the engine has a lot of moving parts, and the movements of these parts result in a lot of friction. The engine oil can only do so much in reducing the heat. Radiators help keep coolant fluid running through the engine to dissipate the heat.
What are they made of?
Nowadays, modern radiators are generally made from aluminum and plastic. They’re lightweight, affordable, and much more efficient.
The older models were made from copper and brass, and they were heavier and less corrosion resistant. However, some people still buy them for vintage cars for the sake of historical accuracy in restoration.
How do you pick the right radiator?
Usually, the product description for the radiator will specify the car engine and car model for which it was designed for. So if a radiator was built for a Ford Mustang, it won’t fit in a Porsche.
It’s entirely possible that you may want to replace or upgrade your car with a different engine. If that’s the case, then you need a new radiator that’s specifically designed for the new engine.
But what if you have two car radiator options for your engine? How should you choose? Here are the factors you need to consider before you make your choice.
- Does it work well? You should do some online research regarding the efficiency of the radiator. It’s a good idea to read customer reviews to get a better picture of how they work.
- Will it last a while? Modern radiators are designed to last about 8 to 10 years with proper care. It’s best to go with a trusted brand, although you should look over various consumer reports to check that a radiator doesn’t fail too quickly.
- How easy is it to put in? This will matter a lot if you want to install the radiator yourself. Even if you have your mechanic do the installation, this is still important. A more difficult installation only means that more things can go wrong.
- How much does it cost? This is a factor that shouldn’t be overlooked. If you have 2 options and they both seem equally good, then it’s sensible to pick the cheaper radiator.
How do you take care of your radiator?
If you want your radiator to last for a decade or so, you’re going to have to maintain and use it properly. There are several basic rules you have to keep in mind:
- The radiator fluid (coolant) should be filled all the time—The coolant should be mixed 50/50 with the water, and you can make it easier on yourself by just buying an already premixed coolant. When you fill in the coolant, just make sure that your engine is completely cool. You don’t want to open the radiator cap when the engine is still hot, as that can lead to injuries.
- The radiator cap should be put on tightly—It’s meant to keep the coolant chamber properly pressurized.
- Clean out the radiator about twice a year—You can get this service done every time you change your oil or rotate your tires.
- Regularly flush your radiator—This gets rid of the particle buildup that can clog your radiator. Most of the time, this should be done every year. However, if you drive around a lot and you rack up a lot of miles, you may need flushing more frequently.
- If you’re often low on coolant, you may have a leak—You should get it checked out by a knowledgeable mechanic. You should also get the radiator looked at every time you overheat your engine.
Our Top Car Radiator Reviews
Denso 221-3220 Radiator
Denso 221-3220 Radiator is designed for use on Honda Civics from 2001 to 2005, though there are some models that don’t match. To verify if this radiator will fit, you may want to check the Denso Products website for confirmation. Just click on the “Verify Fitment” tab and indicate your car model and engine.
- Denso is a well-known original equipment manufacturer brand, so you can rely on good quality and build.
- The radiator is virtually identical to the original radiator it replaces if you choose the one that matches your engine; you just won’t have the embossed Honda mark on the top of the radiator. Everything else, including the core dimensions, fin pitch, tanks, and radiator configuration are the same.
- The installation isn’t all that hard, so your mechanic will thank you for it. You can even probably do it yourself, just by using YouTube videos for reference and some basic car repair tools. You don’t need to do any modifications or adjustments, and you don’t need brackets either.
- It’s very dependable, as it underwent a lot of durability and function testing beforehand.
- As the tank is made of plastic, it’s very lightweight at just 11.8 lbs.
- The price is amazingly low, especially when you go with the right online seller. Honda radiators (complete with the embossed Honda mark) can be 5 times more expensive.
- You must check first if your Honda matches with the radiator. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work for all Hondas.
Check Price at Amazon
2481 Jeep Liberty Radiator Replacement 3.7 Liter V6 (2002-2006)
As the product name says, it’s meant for the Jeep Liberty from 2002 to 2006. You really don’t want to mess with the wrong radiator here, as a 3.7-L V6 engine can generate a lot of heat.
- It’s comparable to the specs and configuration of the original manufacturer radiator.
- If you use this for the right vehicle, you’ll find that it’s a perfect fit most of the time. You usually won’t need to do any sort of modification.
- 2481 Jeep Liberty Radiator Replacement 3.7 Liter V6 also designed to last long, and it even has a 2-year warranty.
- The weight isn’t heavy at 14.7 lbs. That’s due to the plastic tank.
- Customer service is amazing.
- In a few cases, there may still be some needed modifications for the installation. However, these are generally very minor.
Check Price at Amazon
Spectra Premium CU2691 Complete Radiator
Spectra Premium CU2691 Complete Radiator prides itself on the quality of their products. That’s why they don’t have it made overseas, and they’re very picky about the materials they use for their radiators. They make these things to either match or exceed OE specs.
It’s designed for the Infiniti QX56 Base V8 5.6L, along with the Nissan Armada, Pathfinder, and Titan. You can check online to see if your car model is a match.
- The quality of the radiator is quite unmistakable when you see and use it.
- It’s designed and engineered in North America.
- The radiator has been tested under real-world temperature simulations.
- It’s made with rubber compounds that were designed to handle extreme weather conditions.
- It uses aluminum with a high tensile strength.
- It comes with premium fittings for exact connectivity. There are no problems with the installation as it fits like the factory model.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- It’s a bit on the pricey side, although it’s not terribly expensive. You just have to buy it online, as major auto stores will charge you a lot more for it.
Check Price at Amazon
Prime Choice Auto Parts RK782 Aluminum Radiator
The Prime Choice Auto Parts RK782 Aluminum Radiator is really made for Jeep Wrangler TJ models, so, if you do have a Jeep TJ, you can get on the Prime Choice website to confirm if this is the right radiator for you. If it is, it can be a great option.
- It really is well made, with its plastic top and bottom designed for high impact, while you also have durable metal side flanges and a tough aluminum core.
- This will really get the job done, and you may even find your engine running cooler than ever.
- The installation is also fairly simple, as you only need to watch YouTube videos to see how it’s done.
- The price is amazingly low, so that’s always good news.
- There have been reports about minor annoyances with the installation parts, such as screws not matching the mounting holes.
- The packaging isn’t all that good, so you may end up with a few bent fins.
Check Price at Amazon
TYC 2148 Honda Accord 1-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiator
As the name says, this is for the Honda Accord from 1998 to 2002. TYC 2148 Honda Accord 1-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiator comparable to OE parts so it should fit right in if you’re replacing a similar radiator in your Accord. All you really need to do is check to see how it looks with your current radiator. If it looks the same, it’ll work the same.
- There’s no surprise about the performance since it’s just like getting a new unit of your old radiator.
- Before it was released to the market, the radiator was tested for the Honda Accords it was meant for; this means that it will fit perfectly.
- The installation is fairly easy and it shouldn’t be a problem. In fact, in some YouTube videos, you can see people doing it in less than 15 minutes. Of course, you may want to take your time so you can be sure you do it right.
- They’ve used the high-tech “Nocolock” furnace process to braze the plastic-aluminum radiator.
- The aluminum has also been treated with special coating for corrosion resistance.
- The low price is great.
- It comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- It can fit in about 95% of the Accords from 1998 to 2002. That means there’s a 1 in 20 chance that it won’t fit.
- Sometimes it’s sold without a cap, so you’ll have to use your old radiator cap or buy a new one.
Check Price at Amazon
Comparing one radiator on this list to another can be a bit pointless as they’re all meant for different vehicles. It’s like comparing apples to oranges to many more different fruits. Just to recap, here they are along with the vehicles they’re meant for:
- Denso 221-3220: Honda Civic 2001-05
- Polar Radiators 2481: Jeep Liberty 2002-06
- Spectra Premium CU2691: Infiniti QX56 Base V8 5.6L, plus Nissan Armada, Pathfinder, and Titan
- Prime Choice Auto Parts RK782: Jeep Wrangler TJ
- TYC 2148: Honda Accord 1998-2002
If we’re forced to rate them, however, GarageChief has to say that the buyers of the TYC 2148 Honda Accord 1-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiators are especially lucky. They have the right fit for most cars and the performance of this radiator is truly excellent. It’ll last quite a long while too since it also comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Still, it’s safe to say that if you do get any of these radiators, you shouldn’t have any problems. They’re all quite affordable, and you will get a lot of value for your money.
Last update on 2020-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API