If you’re on this page it means you’ve been searching for the best aftermarket headlights. It’s also likely you’re having trouble figuring out which set to buy. We know you’re time is important to you, so we picked out the top 5 aftermarket headlights that provide maximum performance and value.
Quick Look: Our Top Picks
What are the Benefits of Aftermarket Headlights?
The market is inundated with a ton of aftermarket headlights, and there are a lot of good reasons for the increased demand.
- The built-in headlights in many vehicles get worn out over time, and you can buy aftermarket headlights that are just as good if not better than the originals.
- Aftermarket headlights meet the highest standards of quality and safety. As will be indicated in the reviews here, these products are high quality.
- These headlights come in different styles, so you can give your vehicle the look you’ve always wanted.
- You can use these headlights to improve visibility and the visual look of your vehicle.
Crystal vs. Projector Headlights
Crystal headlights are very common and they provide the exterior with an OEM look. Poorly designed crystal headlights, however, are too reflective and could pose a risk during nighttime driving.
Projector headlights disperse the beams uniformly, plus the sharper cutoff leads to greater visibility and won’t blind other drivers on the road. If your vehicle came with crystal headlights and are causing trouble, consider replacing them with projector headlights.
What Qualities Should I Look for in Aftermarket Headlights?
Headlight Housing Quality: The housing must be suitable for the bulbs and must not cause the beams to scatter. In fact, there are quality headlights that prevent the scattering, and the more durable the housing is, the better. This is especially important if you drive in difficult environments and your vehicle is exposed to harsh elements.
Ease of Installation: How easy are the headlights to install? The best headlights just take a few minutes and will be up and running quickly. If the headlights are made by a quality manufacturer, the process won’t take long.
Headlight Styles and Designs: While your choices will be limited to what is compatible with your vehicle, aftermarket manufacturers have become more creative so you can customize your car’s appearance to match the finish. Chrome headlights, for instance, give your vehicle a nice, polished look that will make it stand out. There are also headlights that have an acrylic cover while others have a smoky or dark color, giving your vehicle a more aggressive appearance.
What about Headlight Lighting?
Halo lighting is often used in aftermarket headlights, and they’re either CCCFL or LED.
- LED lights are energy efficient, durable and long lasting. These are easy to install and very visible in the night. There are two types of LED — plasma and SMD. Plasma is the newer technology of the two, though SMD is the more common.
- CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light) Halos are more advanced and offer even greater illumination. However, these are also more expensive and not as widely available as LED or halogen.
Tips for Buyers
- Make sure the headlights are for suitable for your vehicle. The more specific the match, the better. It may be possible to install headlights meant for a different vehicle make or model, but of course, it is better to make sure it is compatible with your vehicle.
- Check if the product includes the bulbs and the other components needed to install the headlights. In some cases, the bulbs are sold separately, so check the product description carefully.
- Read about the warranty and the vendor’s return policy. Make sure you understand the process in case you need to return the set.
How to Install Headlights
This video shows how the process works.
Bear in mind this video is only meant to give you a general idea of how headlights are installed. It is better to check your vehicle manual for specific information on how it is done. Usually though it won’t take long, especially if the headlights are specifically for that vehicle.
The 5 Best Aftermarket Headlights
These headlights are constructed from durable materials to ensure they last. The set includes the left and right lights, so you can set up your car quickly. This headlight set is compatible with the 2000-2004 Chevrolet Impala, and it is certified by the Society of Automotive Engineers and the Department of Transportation.
The headlight set comes with the bulbs, so you just have to disconnect the old headlights, put this set in, connect the wires and you’re good to go. The headlights are not tinted either, so they remain bright even when driving at night. The headlights also come with covers and everything you need, so you just need to replace the old set and your car should look as good as new.
- Conforms to DOT standards
- Made from high-quality materials
- Easy to install
- Retaining clips are sold separately
These headlights are designed as factory replacements, and these have not been changed in any way. These headlights are compatible with the Dodge Caravan and adhere to the OEM requirements, so expect these to be of the highest quality.
These headlights are 100% compatible with the 99 Dodge Caravan ES V6, so setting up won’t be a problem. Keep in mind these are without the quad, so there is only one headlight for each side, whereas quads have two.
These headlights are very easy to install, so you will be ready in just a few minutes. So if your old headlights are getting dim or have cracked, these headlights may be what you are looking for. With their bright lights, you will always see what’s ahead of you.
- Matches OEM requirements
- Installation is straightforward
- Durable design
- Some of these headlights are sold without lights, so check first
Just like car headlights, the headlights that come with your truck may not be the most efficient available. If that’s the case you may want to try these products for the Nissan Frontier SE SC Pickup Truck.
These headlights have been certified by the Society of Automotive Engineers and the Department of Transportation, proving their efficiency and reliability. Even if your pickup truck sees a lot of action in difficult weather, these headlights will hold up.
The headlights come with the bulbs, so everything you need is right here. All that needs to be done is to remove the wires, take out the old headlights, and install these. Performance-wise these headlights don’t disappoint as they are bright, making it easy to see the road ahead.
- Durable design and long-lasting
- Easy to install
- Bulbs are included along with the necessary hardware
- Doesn’t work with all Nissan trucks
These headlights are designed for the 2004-2006 Chrysler Sebring, but it can also work with other vehicles that have similar headlight structures. These parts have been certified by the Society of Automotive Engineers and the Department of Transportation, so you are assured of its quality.
The headlights sport a no-frills design and are easy to install. Even drivers with moderate amounts of experience can install these without trouble. All the hardware is also included, so you’ll get everything set up quickly.
The headlights can be adjusted to fit your car so they fit properly. Because the turn signals and bulbs are provided, you don’t have to buy them separately. Even if your bulbs and turn signals are all right, it’s nice to have reserves.
- Fully certified by the DOT
- Installation is plug and play
- Comes with the bulbs
- It doesn’t work with all Chrysler models
These headlights have been designed for the 97-02 Ford Expedition, and the set comes with all the information necessary to simplify installation. This headlight set includes both left and right headlamps, so you’ll be ready in just a few minutes.
These headlights work great for the 99 F50, and it should take just 10 minutes or less to install. If your truck has old cloudy headlights, these headlights make for suitable replacements. It is easy to adjust the headlights so they fit correctly, and the included light bulbs are brighter than those found on regular units.
If you spend a lot of time driving at night, it is essential you have high-quality headlights, and these are among the best for the Ford Expedition that you can buy.
- Certified to work with the Ford Expedition
- Configuration is easy
- Compliant with industry standards
- Beam is a little scattered
The Best Aftermarket Headlights for Your Vehicle
As the reviews have shown, these aftermarket headlights are designed for specific vehicles, so it is not easy to make a comparison. Since we can’t compare them head-to-head, we instead focused on ease of installation, durability, and compatibility with different vehicles.
Based on our detailed assessment here, the winner is the 04-06 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Sedan Headlights. These headlights have the features any driver could want, such as quick installation and adherence to industry standards. There are a lot of these headlights online, but for quality, durability, and cost effectiveness, these are hard to beat.